Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hacking syndicates threaten banking

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:10:45 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:08:24 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: <[IP]> Hacking syndicates threaten banking

Anonymously, if you choose to use this --

Our company was engaged in writing its own interface to our bank's
credit card service for reconciliation. The bank wanted to send the
individual credit card numbers along with the transaction details, all
in plaintext -- but we could pay extra to have them removed because it
was a non-standard format (something like five cents per transaction).
And forget about encryption! All we needed were transaction identifiers
along with amounts.

The attitude banks have is that that security isn't their problem --
it's a problem for the merchants to deal with. So long as this persists,
there'll be plenty of unscrupulous people who will steal from them.

------ End of Forwarded Message