Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The 8008 and the AL1

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 12:03:10 -0400

Read both notes for flavor of issue

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Nick Tredennick" <bozo () computer org>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 06:51:10 -0700
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: The 8008 and the AL1

Hello Dave,

I¹m here to throw a little gasoline on the ³inventor of the first
microprocessor² story. I was an expert in a lawsuit some years ago when TI
was beating companies over the head with its ³Boone² patents. The Boone
patents are the TI patents on the 8008. There¹s no mention in the file
histories of these patents of Datapoint or of Intel. From what I saw, it¹s
clear that the specification came from Datapoint and that information leaked
between Intel and TI through Datapoint.

Here¹s the gasoline.

There¹s an article in the April 1970 issue of Computer Design describing
Four Phase Systems¹ 8-bit AL1 microprocessor (³Four-phase LSI logic offers
new approach to computer designer,² L. Boysel and J. Murphy, Computer
Design, pages 141-146, April, 1970). The AL1 was designed at Four Phase by
Lee Boysel and was shipping in data terminals from that company as early as
1969. I have looked at the AL1 design from the papers written about it
through the circuit diagrams and discussions with Lee Boysel and I believe
it to be the first microprocessor in a commercial system. Lee Boysel was
another of the experts in the same case. He built a system using an AL1,
ROM, and RAM as an exhibit in preparation for a trial that never came
(surprise, surprise).

I have studied the papers, patents, and file histories for the early history
of the microprocessor (though it¹s been ten years or so ago). Here are my
opinions from that study. The first microprocessor in a commercial product
was Four Phase Systems¹ AL1. The first commercially available (sold as a
component) microprocessor was the 4004 from Intel. The reason that TI had
such difficulty with its 8008 was that its designers adopted ideas from Lee
Boysel¹s Computer Design article without understanding how four-phase logic
works.

Motorola bought and eventually destroyed Four Phase Systems, so there¹s no
PR department to defend the AL1, leaving popular belief for the invention of
the microprocessor up for grabs by a surviving company.

Nick Tredennick

------ End of Forwarded Message