Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a personal comment correcting some history WORTH READING History of 8008?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:30:47 -0400

I just have to make some comments. We, at UC Irvine , as part of the DCS
project that I was PI of , had a 2.5 megabit token ring working in the mid
70's . This ring later became the IBM Token Ring after some interesting
parts had been removed. Bob Metcalfe has said that he did the Ethernet cause
we did the token ring.

For the additional record, the DCS was a fully distributed system operating
over a LAN offering transparent process migration, load sharing, contract
resource control (auctioning) and utilizing the new minicomputers that were
just appearing. Besides being the first I know of that actually did
distributed computing, it ran in metal rather than in conference proceedings
and was fault tolerant and smoothly adapted to failures.

Dave