Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: The dirtier secret about TV Content

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 08:13:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Christopher Null" <cnull () mindspring com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 20:27:04
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: The dirtier secret about TV Content

Dave,

Bill Keeshen's dubbing of advertising as a "content tax" is pretty far
from the mark.

Advertising, marketing, and promotion are a vital part of any business.
For 20th Century Fox, mercilessly plugging Spider-Man is necessary to
get butts in the seats (blatant plug - this is even the lead for my
review of the thing: http://filmcritic.com).  The economics are pretty
simple: if no one knows about the movie, the ticket price is exactly the
same as other movies, but it only makes $2 million on its opening
weekend instead of $114 million.  The company HAS to advertise to build
an audience.  And of course it has to factor those costs into its
prices.

But consider this from the consumer perspective.  The reason bridal
magazines are so thick is because brides-to-be buy them for the ads!
I've never heard of anyone actually reading the content of a bridal
magazine; these are simply catalogs of dresses and honeymoon spots.
Same principle behind Computer Shopper (at least until 2000).  But
either way, consumers actually PAY just for the ads.

In the same vein, it's not a stretch to think that the viewer who goes
to see Spider-Man on opening day is also interested in the months and
months of ads for the film that have come before it.  He (and let's be
honest, it's a "he") has been looking forward to this film for a decade
or more, and enjoying the hype leading up to it is just part of the fun.
Star Wars and Lord of the Rings geeks slobber over online trailers (aka
"ads") for the next installment.  Is a year of excitement before the
release of a movie worth 50 cents, and is the 2 hours of fun during the
film itself worth $8.50?  The correct ratio might very well be the
reverse.

Anyway, consumers like Keeshen are always free to bypass the "content
tax," as he calls it.  If you feel besieged by Spider-Man ads, don't go
see the movie.  If you are upset that Britney Spears gets a nickel for
every six-pack of Pepsi you buy, drink the store brand cola.  Buy a used
car.  (As for Microsoft, well, they're just stupid.)

The point is that advertising makes a lot of things possible that
otherwise would never, ever happen.  It's not a question of cutting
prices; without it, most products would never even exist.

CN

---
Christopher Null, cnull () mindspring com / Editor-in-Chief, filmcritic.com
/ http://filmcritic.com/