Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: fiber in Canada vs. AT&T -- FYI

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:24:18 -0400

From: "Bill St. Arnaud" <bill.st.arnaud () canarie ca>

Again clarification for the record:

Yes, CANARIE operates a high speed research backbone across Canada like
Internet 2, but we are also involved in many other activities directly or
indirectly (through funding) such as GbE dark fiber networks and FTTH
projects.

It was through the CA*net 3 network that we discovered the benefits and
significant cost savings of not using telco technologies  such as Sonet APS
(we do use SONET framing on our major links), long haul GbE over dark fiber
etc.  It is through CA*net 3 that most of our universities and many of our
schools discovered the benefits of condonominium dark fiber which has now
been extended to many communities and into several FTTH trials.

The basic conclusion that we have come to is that the further you can move
away from telco technologies and business models the greater the savings at
no reduced in reliability or operational flexibility.

Some examples:

1. CA*net 3 link to Newfoundland: 1500 Km native GbE over metro DWDM - Cost
savings 1/10 of Telco DWDM/SONET solution
2. CA*net 3 IP over DWDM (no APS SONET - we use layer 3 restoral and
protection) - Cost savings 1/10 of telco DWDM/SONET
3. CA*net 3 Netera - native GbE over CWDM - 350 km - total cost fiber and
CWDM $US 212K.  The network was tested by local telco and had same BER and
reliability as their much more expensive SONET network
4. Average one time cost for metro dark fiber for schools and universities -
$CDN 25,000 - $50,000

Much of the above has been independently verified by external
auditors/consultants.  Their reports are also available on our web site

We are involved with at least 3 FTTH trails that are built on the
competitive neutral condo fiber model which you will hear more about soon.

For more detailed information and analysis see FAQ, CA*net 4 and CA*net 4
documents etc on our web site at www.canet3.net

Bill

Bill St. Arnaud
Senior Director Network Projects