Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: What am I using -- gadgets, bangles and beads (from an old song -- almost)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:22:54 -0500

Recently an IPer asked suggested it was time for me to report on what tools, gadgets etc I am using currently. So here it goes:

- computers -- I have switched over to a Apple Titanium Power Book (667 spped with the new Slot-loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo drive. After a rough start with a hard drive failure and then the failure of the Combo drive , all is now smooth. Apple service was prompt and efficient -- although it does speak to a QC problem. I run OS X and it is a charm. Nice to have a Unix under me again. I use Office X for word processing and use Entourage for my email system. I tried Eudora and it just was not up to the PC version and the others I tried were limiting in several aspects. Entourage is one of the best mail systems I have used in a long while.

The only issue I have with the TiPB is a very poor antenna system that is built into the display. It stinks. They seem to have fixed it in the new IBook but not retroactively with the TiPB.

I also use the IPod for portable music and have been very happy with the ease of using it and its integration into the OS X system.

I have completely converted my wireless (non 802.11) use to two units. One is the Motorola C60 cell phone with Verizon's service. Nice small phone with adequate interface.

I also use the Blackberry Internet version from Earthlink replacing my Palm. The BB is easy to use, reliable and readable. Even with the large volumn of email I get , somewhat filtered mail is servicable with the BB. What is missing -- A MAC interface -- why why why? and a portable keyboard (RIM must be blind).

When I go to Europe etc I take a Ericsson World Phone T39M with a bluetooth. I use the SwissTel service and it all works well.

Camera -- all digital. A Nikon 5000 -- sweet light and flexible -- great reolution . Also just got a Minolta Dimage X for a shirt pocket size unit with 2 megpix resolution Niice design 3x optical zoom all internal. I also carry about all the time the Spie camera in my pocket with my keys

Pocket storage. I have been also using some of those pocket flask "keys" that plug into USB ports on almost any computer to carry my talk powerpoint about. -- One should always have your slides with you and it is on my key chain.

In June I will be in Tokyo and will certainly go to the Akihabara to look and shop.

More latter.

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/