Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Neighborhood Watch Program Shifts Focus Terrorism Prevention and Detection to Become New Priorities

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:58:31 -0500

In a previous note many moons ago, I worried that such programs unless
carefully controlled can become witch hunts. They will start looking at
which books you buy, what you say and especially what color and racial
background you come from.

Dave

Neighborhood Watch Program Shifts Focus
Terrorism Prevention and Detection to Become New Priorities
By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 6, 2002; 2:22 PM

In a striking example of how the world has changed since Sept. 11, the
Justice Department today unveiled plans to double the size of the ubiquitous
Neighborhood Watch Program and shift its focus from nabbing muggers to
detecting terrorists.

Attorney General John D. Ashcroft announced the changes along with former
Tonight Show sidekick and television pitchman Ed McMahon, who stars in a new
series of television ads created to promote the program.

But while the lighthearted spots do not mention terrorism, Ashcroft said the
campaign is aimed at expanding neighborhood watches "to terrorism detection
and prevention."

Ashcroft said federal officials aim to double the size of the current watch
program, to about 15,000 neighborhood groups, and announced a $1.9 million
grant to the National Sheriff's Association to kick off the effort.

Justice officials also released a 24-page "Citizens' Preparedness Guide"
that includes tips on boarding airplanes, handling suspicious mail and
urging citizens to call the FBI if they overhear someone's plans for a
terrorist act.

"You know what is normal for your neighborhood, workplace and daily
routines," the guide says. "If a behavior or event seems to be outside the
norm or is frightening, let law enforcement authorities know."

Those who should be reported includes anyone "who claims membership in an
organization that espouses killing innocent people," the booklet advises.
The guide also makes frequent references to reporting suspicious activities
or people.

Ashcroft, who has come under fire from many Arab-American groups for
anti-terror efforts that have focused largely on Muslim immigrants, said the
watch program is not aimed at any particular group of people.

"We don't want people to be identified by their looks," Ashcroft said. "That
is something this department does not do."

The press conference announcing the new Neighborhood Watch initiative was
kicked off this morning by McMahon, who recycled his signature line from his
days introducing Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show: "Heeere's Johnny!"

"That¹s probably as close as I¹ll come to a late-night TV career, although I
understand Letterman has been promoting my singing lately," Ashcroft said.

Last week, David Letterman ceaselessly poked fun at Ashcroft's televised
rendition of his own song, entitled "Let the Eagle Soar."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/