Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Mr. Hollings' Opus

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 05:48:26 -0500

]>From: Steve Schear <schear () lvcm com>
To: "Dewayne-Net Technology List" <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: Mr. Hollings' Opus
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:47:33 -0800

<http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/printer.jsp?CID=1051-030402C>

Mr. Hollings' Opus
By James K. Glassman    03/04/2002

Jim Glassman: Before the passage of Tauzin-Dingell legislation in the
House, Congressman Tauzin had said earlier that the bill is going to quote,
"soar through this chamber, and then we will invite the Senate to take this
up. I don't believe for one minute, any one senator can bottle this up." He
may be referring to you.

Sen. Ernest Hollings: I don't think of it as a one man-stand. Several of us
are very familiar with the enactment of the '96 [Telecommunications Act]
deregulation and realize that we've been had. I mean, we had the long
distance deregulated under [U.S. District] Judge Harold Greene back in '84;
we were doing exceedingly well. And the Bell companies said, "Look, we
tried to get into that competition, that long distance." And they finally
prevailed on me.

I'm a doubting-Thomas on all this deregulation, but in any event, I said,
how do you deregulate this Bell monopoly? You just can't say, "On your
mark, get set, go." You've got to have it in a studied way that's fair to
the Bell companies because we had the finest, and still have the finest
telecommunications in the world.

And, on the other hand, if you just let them go, they'd extend the monopoly
and squash all competition. It was only after all seven (regional Bell
telephone companies) and all lawyers agreed that we went forward with the
bill. And that's why it passed 95-to-5 in the Senate.

So we got a good bill. But heaven's above, as soon as it was enacted, (the
Bells) contested the constitutionality of it, pulled every trick in the
book, and have been on the stretch out of doing absolutely nothing over the
past six years.

steve

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: