Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: some more on 809 issue from scambusters

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:06:50 -0500

http://www.scambusters.org/809Scam.html

from:

Update on the 809 Scam

There are a number of changes that have occurred involving the 809 scam since we wrote about this in Internet ScamBusters three years ago.

Area codes have changed in many of the countries. Now, 809 is just for the Dominican Republic. For example, 242 is the area code for the Bahamas, 284 is for the British Virgin Islands, and 787 is for Puerto Rico. You can find all the new area codes at http://www.lincmad.com/caribbean.html. Or you can go to AT&T and look up any area code in the world.

You can also find area code maps of various regions in .pdf format at the North American Numbering Plan Administration site.

We have not been able to verify if charges are still as high as $25 per minute. It may be that the price today is significantly lower.

We spoke with Mr. Chavez at AT&T on September 12, 1999. He said that there have not been any changes lately regarding Caribbean area codes or scams that he is aware of. We have learned that AT&T did put out a bulletin that this scam continues to thrive. You can read their alert here..

We'd also heard there are now new related scams using the prefixes 500 and 700. These prefixes can be used for adult entertainment and for pay per call numbers. Some of these numbers are in the country Vanuatu. Mr. Chavez confirmed this.