Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: the serious internet

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:50:05 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Lee Rainie <lrainie () pewinternet org>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:46:22 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: the serious internet

Dear Dr. Farber:

Several other IPers have sent you references to some of our previous
research and your generosity in
posting them was enough to embolden me to pass along word of our newest
report based on a
longitudinal study of 1,500 Americans. We found that as Americans gain
experience online, they use
the Internet more for their jobs, to make more online purchases and carry
out other financial
transactions, and to write emails with more significant and intimate
content.

The report on these findings, called "Getting Serious Online," shows that
over time Internet users
become more purposeful, efficient, and self-assured in using the Web and
email to support some of
life's most important activities. This flies in the face of some recent
rumblings that use of the
Internet was somehow getting less popular and was becoming less important to
people.

The full report can be downloaded at:
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=55

And if IPers are interested in getting word when we publish new findings
about our research into the
social impact of the Internet, they can sign up for newsletter alerts at
http://www.pewinternet.org/signup.asp.

The Pew Internet & American Life Project is a nonpartisan, independent
research organization funded
by the Pew Charitable Trusts to study the impact of the Internet on
families, communities, health
care, education, civic and political life, and the work place. We'd love to
hear from you and other
IPers about their reactions to our work -- and to get research ideas about
the way the Internet is
used in "everyday life." We're about to launch some research about email use
for work and at work
places and my guess is that lots of IPers would have helpful thoughts on
that.

In the next couple of weeks we'll be releasing analysis of how people use
government agency web
sites, how people decide on the credibility of the health information they
get online, and how much
teenagers use the Internet in their classes and other learning contexts.

Thanks so much for your attention and your kindness towards our work in the
past,
Lee Rainie
Director
Pew Internet & American Life Project