Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 2 on California's Sen. Feinstein cozies up to SSSCA, anti-copying laws

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:20:41 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

   Cal Senator: Hollywood Over Tech
   By Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

   2:00 a.m. March 15, 2002 PST
   WASHINGTON -- Sen. Dianne Feinstein may come from Northern California,
   but she's siding with Hollywood instead of Silicon Valley.

   Feinstein suggested on Thursday that Congress might need to intervene
   in what has become a highly visible tussle between content owners
   worried about online piracy and tech firms that fear intrusive new
   regulations. And since the two-term senator chairs a technology
   subcommittee, she's in a position to turn her views into law.

   At a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Feinstein held up a burned CD
   with a pirated version of the movie Shrek that she said an aide had
   downloaded from a peer-to-peer network. "This is Napster times 10,
   because no one can shut these services down," Feinstein warned.
   "Widespread movie piracy is just around the corner."

   [...]