Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Lliving large....

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:08:16 -0400

Those rich ex-industrialists djf :-)
-----Original Message-----
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:46:24
To: dave () farber net
Subject: living large....

i'm sitting in front of a new Cinema Display
driven by a twin G4 Power Mac.  Lordy is this cool!
i haven't been provoked to giggles of delight by
a computer since sitting down with the very first Mac 512
running MacWrite and MacPaint.

After running Windoze and Unix/X11 crap for so long,
you forget the "Law of Least Amazement" - meaning
"if it looks like it should work, then it should work".

I take it from your previous IP notes that you are
living in your TiG4 notebook as your primary machine??
i'm still using my Sony C1 as the "read the email" laptoy
(Peter Lothberg's great term), but the only thing i do
with it is launch an SSH session back to my email machine
and run MH remotely (MH user for 23 years and counting).
i *really* wish there were a version of MH that used IMAP,
but that's a project for a rainy month of Sundays (grin).
I'll probably get an iBook of some flavor down the road
but for now i'm revelling in the astounding beauty and elegance
of MacOS X.  This is what a SUN should have been 15 years ago.

Unix people often extole the value of "Mechanism divorced from Policy."
What they really mean is "Design divorced from Taste."
if you don't make any hard decisions, you can't be criticized
for them.  but then they never get made, or worse, they get
made by people least-gifted in making them.

        -mo

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/