Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on ATTBI / Eudora / SSL

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 03:22:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Einar Stefferud <stef () nma com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:20:36 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Hi Dave;-)...

Verizon ISP does the same thing (requiring use of my Verizon assigned
ISP EMail address in the FROM and/or REPLY-TO headers of outgoing
mail in order to post through the Verizon ISP's SMTP posting server).

This is done to fight spam, as it identifies you as a Verizon
customer which means that Verizon can punish you for spamming if
someone complains with a copy of the SPAM evidence.

None-the-less it is a pain in the butt for those who like to use our
own Domain Name addresses.

However, Verizon does not block me from posting my mail through other
willing SMTP sites, so I have negotiated to post outgoing mail with
my own <stef () nma com> address at other sites out there in the net.

The trick is to find some way to let the "other SMTP posting site"
identify my outgoing mail.  Your mileages may vary.  it is not always
easy, especially if running with DHCP service.

Cheers...\Stef

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/