Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: Gilmor's Broadband column...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:24:27 +0900

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:47:07 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: IP: Gilmor's  Broadband column...
Cc: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>, danb () bricklin com,
    bobf () frankston com

"half-baked libertarians?"

This advocate of high bandwidth connectivity would like just one thing, and
it has nothing to do with "federal assistance".   It has everything to do
with removing federal and state granted monopolies from ILECs and cable
companies, so it is possible to compete by innovation.

It may well be that some of the bigger Silicon Valley companies figure that
paying these ultimate sluggards to upgrade their plant is easier than
digging out the roots of the vicious cycle that bankrolls leading
politicians' campaigns, to avoid the risks of competing with innovative new
technologies and writing off a trillion dollars in junk bonds issued
against telecom "assets" that would be hard to sell for any price.

Just as we gave prime spectrum to the NAB members because they "promised"
to do HDTV, and gave AOLTW a pass in antitrust because they promised to
"open" up their network to ISPs...

Now we are going to give federal support to the ILECs and cable guys,
because they "promise" broadband to the home.

I predict in 5 years we'll be exactly where we are today, with the ILEC and
cable guys saying they don't see a "business model".   And no one will
wonder where all the federal money went...