Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Yes, we'll have no web site

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:16:51 +0900

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Kedrosky, Paul" <paul.kedrosky () commerce ubc ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 21:21:14 -0700
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Yes, we'll have no  web site

Hi Dave --

While more and more execs I know don't have cell phones -- those are for the
worker bees underneath them -- and an increasing number eschew email devices
-- same argument -- I ran into a story today
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/06/0
2/BU13386.DTL&type=printable) about an entire company passing on this web
stuff.

Texas Pacific Group, the relatively little-known billion-dollar buyout firm
behind deals like J. Crew, Beringer, Bally, Del Monte, Ducati motorcycles,
America West Airlines, Continental Airlines, has decided not to bother
removing its "Coming soon" notice at its web site.

Why bother, the company says, "...under the belief that people who need to
know about the firm already do -- and that providing easy information to its
rivals is just dumb."

All technologies eventually go full circle, don't they ...

Paul Kedrosky
Faculty of Commerce
University of British Columbia
paul.kedrosky () ubc ca   604.822.8894