Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Unlimited reach? The long arm of libel law

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:46:24 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jo Procter <Jo.Procter () williams edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:55:00 -0400
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Unlimited reach? The long arm of libel law

IPers may be interested in this from the Online News Association, which I
received and pass along with their permission.

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:30:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: jcastro () northwestern edu
Subject: Unlimited reach? The long arm of libel law [ONA JUNE UPDATE]
To: Jo Procter <Jo.Procter () williams edu>
Dear Jo Procter,

When I was a newspaper reporter, I covered a lot of beats. But the courts
never
attracted me. They do now, though -- in part as a working journalist but
mainly
as the president of the ONA. That's because the association has filed
briefs in
two important "e-jurisdiction" cases involving the geographic location in
which
a news organization can be sued.

In both cases, individuals sued newspapers for libel but not in the
jurisdiction
where the stories were published and primarily circulated. Instead, the
lawsuits
were filed where the individuals lived: one in Big Stone Gap, Va., the
other in
Australia. In both cases, local courts ruled the suits could proceed
because the
stories were also posted and read online, thus giving the courts grounds for
hearing the cases.

"Advocates of free speech and news-media lawyers worry that if the district-
court decision stands [in the Stanley Young vs. Hartford Courant case],
online
publishers could be sued for defamation in any state or county that an online
article is read," The New York Times reported in a May 27, 2002, article. The
article quoted Robert M. OíNeil, director of the Thomas Jefferson Center
for the
Protection of Free Expression, as saying:  "The danger is that a doctrine of
this sort could cause publications large, small, or medium to decline to
put on
their Web pages material that might offend a person in a remote jurisdiction."

The online journalists who founded the ONA werenít prescient about these
cases
when they made freedom of expression part of our mission. But as journalists,
they knew the many assaults on freedom of expression and the free flow of
information, and they knew the Internet would pose new challenges.

We recently formalized our legal-affairs committee and asked Past
President Rich
Jaroslovsky to serve as chairman. Serving on the committee are M.J. Bear, Max
Cacas, Fred Mann and ONA counsel Jon Hart, who also co-authors the Legal
Briefs
section of this newsletter. Let them know your thoughts on what the ONA could
pursue in this area.

For more details on the Virginia case, see:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/editorandpublisher/headlines/article_display.
sp?vnu_content_id=1507003

For more on the Australia case, see:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/28/1022569770387.html