Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Mind-blowing-- How to own the Internet in yourspare time

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:48:04 +0900

------ Forwarded Message
From: Vern Paxson <vern () icir org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:29:16 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: "Nicholas C. Weaver" <nweaver () CS Berkeley EDU>,
stuart () silicondefense com
Subject: Re: IP: more on Mind-blowing-- How to own the Internet in yourspare
time

[resending, in case this slipped between the cracks the first time]

On Mon 27 May Mike Astle wrote:

The CDC part of this article just makes no sense.  The authors spend the
majority of the paper showing that a worm could infect the entire
Internet
in less than a minute.  They then call for the creation of a body to
combat infections which are by their own admission "so fast that no
human-mediated counter-response is possible".

First, as the paper notes, the CDC section is "to spur further discussion
of the issues within the community".

However, our definition of the CDC does include the task of developing
and coordinating automated defenses.  This requires the correlation of
distributed information.  Many of these worms would have behavior that,
although it may not be detectable on a single site in time to respond,
does present Internet-wide anomalies which an automated system could respond
to.  (And, yes, automated response is *exceedingly* tricky - it's just very
hard to see what else can be done.)  We are actively working on research
on automated worm responses, but it's premature for us to publish this.

Similarly, an important part of recovering from an attack is understanding
what the worm does and tries to accomplish, as well as a means of tracking
the author.  E.g., an understanding of the Code Red I DDoS module allowed
whitehouse.gov to avoid a DDoS attack.

But there is nobody who is accountable to the public for such analysis
currently; it generally consists of voluntary efforts.  A more complicated
worm is unlikely to be analyzed in the current environment - for example,
to the best of our knowledge, there has still been no full disassembly of
Nimda, meaning that it's behavior may not be altogether known.  And there
is certainly nobody responsible for initiating any sort of proactive
measures
at an Internet level.

I am convinced that the creation and distribution of a super-virus is
possible, but I agree with Sam that the virus as described in this paper
depends on so many assumptions (all neatly stated and then overlooked)
as to be unlikely.

This is not a useful comment without clarifying which assumptions we
have overlooked.

It is unclear to me who might have an interest in releasing a truly
destructive virus.

Unfortunately, there are far too many who may be interested.  Since
the discussion is lengthy, it's appended at the end.  At a minimum,
critical communication networks should be engineered such that they
cannot be globally disrupted by small groups of amateurs.  This is
obvious.  It isn't true of the Internet.

----