Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Another NO!! Report Correction on FCC Daily Circulation Report

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:37:23 -0400

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:39:37 -0400
From: "David Fiske" <DFISKE () fcc gov>

Dave: I am writing to request correction of an erroneous report posted in your July 3, 2002, electronic mail information service.

Your service reprinted a report by Michael Ravnitzky, that was sent to you by Jim Warren, indicating that the FCC's internal Daily Circulation Report may be obtained from the FCC by filing a request with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Officer.

The information contained in Mr. Ravnitzky's report is incorrect.

The Daily Circulation Report is an internal FCC record that is exempt from disclosure under the deliberative process privilege of FOIA Exemption 5, 5 U.S.C. ยง 552(b)(5). See Wolfe v. Department of Health and Human Svcs., 839 F.2d 768 (D.C. Cir. 1988) (en banc) (records indicating what actions had been completed by the Food & Drug Administration but awaiting final decision or approval by the Secretary or the Office of Management and Budget were exempt from disclosure under the deliberative process privilege).

The Commission has previously withheld the Daily Circulation Report pursuant to FOIA Exemption 5. In a letter to Bill McConnell, Broadcasting & Cable, dated May 2, 2001, in FOIA Control No. 21-095, Managing Director Andrew S. Fishel explained,

"Disclosing the list of pending proceedings and other details that identify these pending proceedings could chill Commission deliberations on important telecommuni-cations issues. Disclosure of this list may lead to unnecessary speculation about individuals responsible for any perceived decisional delays and this speculation may lead to precipitous decision making."

Please also note that Ravnitzky's report incorrectly identified Kathy Abbate as the FCC's FOIA Officer. Ms. Shoko Hair has replaced Ms. Abbate as the FOIA Officer.

The FCC is committed to broad public access to its decision making processes, consistent with the deliberative process privilege of the FOIA. Information concerning proceedings pending before the Commission may be found on our Internet site, and we promptly notify the public through the Daily Digest when items have been released.

Thanks for your cooperation in correcting this information. In addition, I am CC'g this email to the email addresses of both Mr. Warren and Mr. Ravnitzky.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/