Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Web birth dates

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:15:10 -0500

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:41:52 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Ari Schwartz <ari () cdt org>
Subject: Web birth dates

Hi Dave,

Interesting that this should come up. A calendar of the great dates of computer, freedom and privacy should be arriving this week in the mail to past attendees of the CFP conference to promote CFP2002 -- http://www.cfp2002.org

Diana Peterson, a Georgetown graduate student, did extensive research to help us put this together. We could not find an exact day for the first Web page. The closest we came was in Tim Berners-Lee's book "Weaving the Web" which says that:

"The WorldWideWeb browser/editor was working on my machine and Robert's, communicating over the Internet with the info.cern.ch server by Christmas Day 1990."

Tim then discribes the effort to put the CERN phone book up in HTML.

Since this was not very precise, we decided that the date we would use in the CFP2002 calendar was April 30, 1993 -- "CERN makes WWW free of charge."

Anyone who has not attended CFP or is not on the CFP mailing list can request a calendar for free (while they last) simply by sending me their mailing address.

Hope this helps.

Ari

------------------------------------
Ari Schwartz