Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on microsoft dependence RE: Microsoft Breaks Netscape Rule In New Security Flaw

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:06:22 -0500

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:55:25 -0800
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: webert () bellatlantic net

Tom, while your article is good to get out the basic message,
the issues, as you may know, go deeper than you describe.

> >BREAK THE MICROSOFT HABIT: How many times has my computer been threatented
> >by a virus because holes in Microsoft Outlook made it easy for these

While people often find security windows in Microsoft products, this is
not always because of bad software engineering at Microsoft.  In may cases
this is the result of software "monoculture."  When 90% of people run a
particular system, it is really only worthwhile to find windows into it.
Finding a window into a linux program only gets you a tiny fraction of
machines, so it's not nearly as "productive."

However, there are many advantages and economies of scale to software
monoculture, so I'm not sure how much success calls against it will ever
have.

> >FIREWALLS FOR EVERYONE: If you've got a computer that's connected to the
> >Internet, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't want a firewall on it.

Yes, that is the right advice today, but you might have wanted to note that
many security experts believe it is not the most secure philosophy.  The
firewall approach means that once somebody is past the firewall, they get
access to everything.   If you can secure individual machines to the point
that they don't need the firewall protection, you're going to have a much
more secure environment.

This is particularly important because no machine or firewall is fully
secure, and firewalls just make a multi-breaking easier.  However, at the
same time firewalls make local administration and use more convenient, because
good security is inconvenient and we always make trade-offs between that
security and convenience.

Thus the question is, which type of security gives us the best trade-off?
Making the machines themselves secure without any user intervention is
obviously good, and that's not a firewall approach.  The people who design
protocols and the programs that act as gateways into our machines for those
protocols should have woken up by now, but there's a lot of old design out
there too.

Firewalls come with a cost of inconvenience, however.  For many, they are
the barrier that stops innovative new applications from spreading on the
net, like peer to peer apps, internet telephony etc.  Firewalls violate the
end to end principle of network design, usually.

> >DON'T SHIELD SHODDY PRODUCTS: Liability is another way of deterring the

(Taken with another meaning, in fact, this would be an argument against
firewalls.  :-)

> >USE REGULATION, OR THREATEN TO: In the post-9/11 era, it's clear that
> >governments have an interest in information security. Lawmakers and
> >regulators should use 2002 to find innovative ways to encourage safer
> >systems without stifling innovation.

Hah.  Let me put on my EFF hat and say that in fact government regulation
has been the biggest barrier to getting security deployed in the market.
Some forces in the government are afriad of good security in computers, and
so acted (with remarkable success) to regulate encryption and stop it from
getting deployed in consumer products.

For shortsighted "Freeh" thinkers at the DoJ, a truly secure civilian
computer infrastructure was their nightmare, because they wouldn't be
able to wiretap it.   And they got it.  And after the laws were (at least
partially) struck down, things are getting deployed but slowly.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/