Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Let you decide where the truth is -- AOL and Harvard

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:44:19 -0500

To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

FOR publication, not FOR attribution.  Thanks.

Dave,

I work for a company that delivers large amounts of e-mail for Fortune-1000
companies.

We had a very similar problem with AOL: we started to see many of our
messages fail to arrive in AOL mailboxes even though AOL reported they were
successfully accepted for delivery.

Sending one or two messages at a time would work flawlessly, but when
sending anything larger, some might arrive while many would not.

After a lot of testing, we discovered AOL has some very interesting policies
regarding email delivery.

In a nutshell, if you deliver more than some number messages to AOL within
an a certain timeframe, AOL will accept them for delivery but in actuality,
delete them without notice.  The metrics AOL uses to decide what should or
should not be delivered are not published.

We solved this when, after several months of spotty delivery, we finally got
to the right person within AOL who informed us they maintain a "white list"
of companies like ours that are allowed to deliver messages "in bulk" to AOL
recipients.

Once we found out about its existence, a few emails and a faxed affidavit
later, we saw all our messages delivered without incident.

I would imagine Harvard fell afoul of these policies.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/