Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: microsoft dependence RE: Microsoft Breaks Netscape Rule In New Security Flaw

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:12:30 -0500

From: "Tom Weber" <webert () bellatlantic net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: microsoft dependence RE: Microsoft Breaks Netscape Rule In New Security Flaw

Dave -- The hits just keep on coming, it seems. Fyi, here's my column from
today's Journal on getting serious about security in 2002, and the need to
reduce dependence on Microsoft given these security problems.

Best,
Tom

E-WORLD By Thomas E. Weber
Time to Get Serious:
A Checklist of Ways
To Secure the Internet
01/07/2002
The Wall Street Journal
(Copyright (c) 2002, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

HERE'S A CHALLENGE to everyone in the technology world: make computer
networks more secure and more reliable in 2002.

Think of it as homeland security, cyberstyle. At work and at home, computer
users are tired of enduring one glaring vulnerability after another. The
cycle of bugs, viruses, security patches and inconvenience seems endless --
and all too familiar.

As if we needed a reminder, last week came word of yet another colossal
security hole. AOL's ubiquitous Instant Messenger chat software turns out to
have a glitch that could let hackers invade our PCs over the Internet. A few
weeks earlier we learned that Microsoft's shiny new Windows XP operating
system is similarly wide open to attack.

In both cases, there doesn't appear to have been any harm done. AOL and
Microsoft moved to fix the problems, and there were no reports of attacks
exploiting the newly discovered weaknesses. But the incidents underscored
once again how vulnerable our computers are.

Here are some ideas about tightening up online security in 2002:

BREAK THE MICROSOFT HABIT: How many times has my computer been threatented
by a virus because holes in Microsoft Outlook made it easy for these
malicious programs to spread? I've lost count. Microsoft has patched and
updated the software, but we're still plagued with viruses that shut down
corporate mail servers and cost businesses money. The vulnerabilities in
Outlook don't need to be patched; they simply shouldn't be there in the
first place.

Normally, market forces would punish makers of shoddy products. But
Microsoft's dominance impedes those forces. One answer is for corporate
customers to use their clout to demand better quality. Consumers can help,
too, by refusing to buy software upgrades unless the new versions are
demonstrably more secure.

Another answer is to nurture and use alternatives whenever possible. Apple's
OS X and Linux both provide reasonable alternatives to Microsoft's Windows
for many applications. They both have security problems of their own, but
increasing the diversity of systems online would strengthen the Net's immune
system, a priority after the September terror attacks.

Yet what are we faced with, as Microsoft seeks to end private antitrust
suits against it? A potential settlement that could encourage the greater
spread of Microsoft's software via a giveaway program to underprivileged
schools. That isn't just ironic -- it could be bad for national security.

FIREWALLS FOR EVERYONE: If you've got a computer that's connected to the
Internet, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't want a firewall on it.
It's easy to get a decent firewall program that will thwart intruders'
attempts to hack into your system. In fact, you can even download one free
(ZoneAlarm, available at www.zonelabs.com).

Good firewalls protect everyone. Many hackers aren't actually interested in
the contents of an individual computer. Instead, with the help of automated
software, they're probing hundreds of computers at a time to find those
susceptible to attack. A hacker who finds enough compromised PCs can
assemble a secret army of computers that can then be used to shut down giant
Web sites.

That means firewalls, along with antivirus systems, are practically a
public-health issue for the Internet. They should come installed on every
new computer sold and be provided with every Internet account. We don't want
unprotected computers on the Net any more than we want cars on the road
without brake lights.

DON'T SHIELD SHODDY PRODUCTS: Liability is another way of deterring the
spread of defective goods and services, but just try suing a software
company. Even if a hacker steals your files or a virus destroys months of
work, in most cases software users have little recourse. Take a look at the
"shrink-wrap" license included with most off-the-shelf programs and you'll
find that, if you're lucky, you may get a refund if something goes wrong.

An obscure law known as the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act,
or Ucita, intended for adoption by state legislatures throughout the U.S.,
could further weaken users' rights by strengthening those licenses. Passed
in Maryland and Virginia, Ucita is now being tinkered with to address a
variety of concerns. Whenever legislators consider this topic, they need to
question whether software users' rights are being protected.

USE REGULATION, OR THREATEN TO: In the post-9/11 era, it's clear that
governments have an interest in information security. Lawmakers and
regulators should use 2002 to find innovative ways to encourage safer
systems without stifling innovation.

Among the ideas that have been floating around are tax credits for spending
on security products. John Pescatore, a security expert at Gartner Research,
has a better idea: tax breaks for security training for software developers,
and research and development credits for creation of secure software.

In addition to those carrots, a bit of the stick might prove useful. When
faced with the prospect of government intervention, the technology industry
has a way of finding solutions to head off new regulations. A few
congressional hearings on major software blunders might accomplish a lot.

---