Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Schneider speaks January 9th on Global Warming (Correction)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:27:52 -0500

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:15:53 -0800 (PST)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: allison () stanford edu

        Computer Systems Laboratory Colloquium
          4:15PM, Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002
    NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
       http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380

Topic:    The Global Warming Controversy
          Can we separate scientific signal from political noise

Speaker:  Steven Schneider
          Stanford University

About the talk:

Inordinate contention attends complex socio-technical problems
like global warming. The polarized extremes (end of the world
versus good for us) are, I believe, the two lowest probability
cases, yet they dominate media and political debates and
editorial pages. No responsible scientist would claim to have
precise expectations about our climatic future, its implications
for nature and our lives or the costs of doing something about
it. Nevertheless, a great deal of consensus exists about many
aspects of the topic, despite the large uncertainties which
accompany other components.

A half-dozen pieces of circumstantial evidence were sufficient
for the 100-scientist Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC) to assert in 1995: "the balance of evidence suggests that
there is a discernible human influence on global climate". The
2000AD IPCC assessment, while strengthening this conclusion based
on five more years data and analysis, has brought to the
forefront a new discernible statement: this time that recent
observations of regional climate changes and the movements of
wildlife, marine systems, ice extent and the timing of vegetation
life cycles are becoming clear enough in the past few
decades--very likely to be the warmest in at least
1000years---that there now appears to be a discernible impact of
regional climatic variations on natural systems.

The prime implications of this new finding is that as the climate
continues to change--and change may be expected to accelerate
substantially in the 21st century--we can expect natural systems
to become highly stressed. I will try to distinguish which are
the well known components of the debate, contrast them to the
over-contentious media/political debate, and put this problem in
the context of so-called Integrated Assessment of policy

International scientific assessments have for decades emphasized
the necessity of treating uncertainties in their reports to
governments contemplating policy options to deal with the advent
or prospect of human-induced climatic changes. The most recent
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Assessment
Report (TAR) is now completed, and unlike previous reports there
is a formal guidance paper(prepared by Richard Moss and Stephen
Schneider after three rounds of review) which recommends
strategies to explicitly account for uncertainties. Although some
might expect this to be welcome news to scientists, a number of
authors--particularly physical scientists from developed
countries--have somewhat resisted the notion of expressing
quantitative subjective probabilities to characterize
uncertainty. Nevertheless, without probabilities atttached (even
highly subjective ones), any outcomes projected cannot be put
into a risk-management framework, and the nature of this
conundrum will be highlighted.

[Professor Schneider has published a critical essay review of Lommborg's
contoversial book, The Skeptical Environmentalist, in the January 2002
issue of Scientific American.  He's promised to include some of his
observations about the failings of Lomborg's book and the way by which
scientific investigations must be done in order to reach defensible
conclusiuons.  -dra]

About the speaker:

Stephen Schneider is a Professor in the Department of Biological
Sciences and a Senior Fellow at the Institute for International
Studies at Stanford University. He is editor of Climactic Change
and the Encyclopedia of Climate and Weather and the lead author
of several IPCC chapters and the IPCC guidance paper on
uncertainties.

Stephen Schneider published an essay in the January 2002 issue of
Scientific American which gives critical review of a portion of
Bjørn Lomborg's controversial book,The Skeptical Environmentalist.

Contact information:

Stephen Schneider
Stanford University
shs () stanford edu