Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Champ.Mitchell: WARNING: Your email is vulnerable to SPAM Robots!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:04:51 -0500

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:03:24 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>

At 04:02 PM 12/30/2001, John Gilmore wrote:

>My site got three unsolicited emails, using forged return addresses,
>from ORDB today too.  They do not have permission to relay email
>through my site.

They are testing to see whether your mail server is an "open relay" --
a system which has made itself available to spammers as a way of
propagating their noxious messages The infinitesimal cost of the
resources they consume is "de minimus," but the good they do by
ferreting out open relays -- which are attractive nuisances and
foster the propagation of spam -- is immense. ORDB, ORBZ, MAPS,
and similar organizations provide a very valuable service. We support
MAPS, in particular, by paying a yearly fee to access, and help them
to maintain, their database. For more on the problems caused by
open relays and how to avoid the spam they propagate, see the
in-depth paper I presented this summer at the O'Reilly Open Source
Conference in San Diego. It can be found at

http://www.brettglass.com/spam/index.html

--Brett

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/