Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on DMA (Direct Marketing Association)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:24:04 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
cc: lauren () pfir org
Subject: Re: IP: more on DMA (Direct Marketing Association)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:19:26 -0800
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

> "Correction. It doesn't cost anything to get removed from mass e-mailing
> lists." [ But it does from EACH of the others doing it online djf]

Dave,

As far as I'm concerned these Direct Marketing Association programs
regarding SPAM have been, at best, meaningless.  Though there have been some
changes over the last two years, my PRIVACY Forum piece (January, 2000)
regarding the DMA's view of SPAM still seems largely relevant:

   Direct Marketing Association's "Spam Solution"--Useless, or Worse!
   http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.09.05

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/