Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a wake up after many many years

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:58:42 -0500

While I was at Bell Labs in the late 50's and early 60's , we had the opportunity to hear the details of the IBM Stretch computer and especially the two addons -- the streaming unit and the harvest storage unit.{ http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/ibm/stretch/ }. The streaming unit was a tour de force of high speed technology with interesting hardware that did statistical processing on streams of bytes. It was "clear" that one , maybe the only, use was in code breaking but at that time information about it's applications were not easy to come by (an understatement). As a side , George Mealy claimed to have done the token breakout of a fortran program on the streaming unit.

Anyway recently I was reading the book -- Battle of Wits by Stephen Budiansky [ available at Amizon and fun to read] and suddenly all became very clear.

I wish I had known all this when I was playing at writing toy code for the steaming unit.

History is fun.

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/