Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: It May Finally Be Showtime For DVRs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:26:21 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: This item comes from reader Mike Cheponis. I got my own ReplayTV 4000 on Thursday. I was able to transfer a one hour PBS program that I recorded to Mike Thursday night. We both have T1's to our homes. It didn't take anywhere near the eight hours for a 30 minute program that the article implies would be the case. I'll be posting a report on my experiences with the unit next week. DLH]

It May Finally  Be Showtime  For DVRs
By Christopher Stern
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 18, 2002; Page E01

A year ago, the future of digital video recorders -- those boxes that automatically record television shows on a hard drive -- looked uncertain. Consumers just weren't embracing the new technology, despite a run of television and print advertising. Most didn't even really understand what the things did. But in the last few months the picture has begun to clear up. Of the two pioneers in the field, TiVo Inc. has emerged as a market leader, while SonicBlue Inc.'s ReplayTV has been reenergized under new ownership. About 1 million homes now have a digital recorder, counting hardware offered by satellite broadcasters and Microsoft's Ultimate TV. Essentially, a digital video recorder, or DVR, stores programs on a hard drive instead of videotape. Users can record a show just by highlighting its title in an onscreen program guide and tapping a button on the remote; tap it twice and the show will be recorded every time it airs. And because the hard drive also automatically stores whatever's on, users can even pause or rewind live television. Over this holiday season, some analysts saw TiVo round a corner with the public. Demand for the devices outstripped supply at some stores and online retailers, said Gordon Hodge, an analyst with Thomas Weisel Partners. "I think DVR technology is really catching on," said Hodge, who suspects that TiVo may even beat his estimate of selling 90,000 devices in the final three months of last year. Hodge is also betting that TiVo will reap huge returns from licensing its technology to other companies, such as Sony and DirecTV. In 2001, more than 367,000 TiVo-based boxes were sold; Hodge predicts 700,000 units will sell in 2002. Meanwhile, the price of a TiVo unit has dropped from several hundred dollars to less than $100 in some cases. (Users also pay $10 a month for TiVo's program guide, or $250 for the "lifetime" of their DVR unit.) TiVo President Morgan Guenther said yesterday that the company wants to drive the average price of a TiVo device down to $199, a level that "is important to breaking the market open." Guenther predicted that digital video recorders will quickly become one of the hottest devices in consumer electronics, pointing to the history of other breakthrough media devices -- including the VCR, which TiVo and its rivals are hoping to replace. TiVo's oldest rival, ReplayTV -- bought by SonicBlue in August -- is taking a different course. Instead of seeking to integrate its technology in other companies' devices, Replay is selling its boxes as stand-alone units. And its new ReplayTV 4000 series are premium devices that start at $699. They not only store 320 hours of programming but also allow viewers to e-mail their programs to friends over a high-speed network connection. They can also be programmed to skip all commercials in stored shows. SonicBlue chairman and CEO Ken Potashner says the new units are already making a profit. But analysts estimate that less than 5,000 ReplayTV 4000 units sold in the last three months of the year and fewer than 50,000 will sell in 2002.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/