Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: UK National ID

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:26:41 -0500

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:13:44 -0500
From: Peter Bachman <peterb () cequs com>

Dave,

For those of us who are trying to bridge the requirements gap between civil liberties and security, it was refreshing to read that the U.K. is willing to spend money on researching the issues and understanding the requirements before moving forward. I hope we can do the same, and do it in a forum which the public can access. Right now, this is a highly
competitive development in IT.

The fact that U.K. politicians admit that they do not know what to do is a healthy sign, because as stated in the BBC article, "There are many arguments - both philosophical and practical - for and against a scheme."

As with any elective surgery, the risks and potential rewards should be understood, and in this case there is an ethical imperative of democratic informed consent to new tokens for national identity. While the public here is not opposed to such an idea, there's no strong evidence that they are asking for it either.

The fact that sophisticated false id's are for sale here to specifically evade laws regarding underage drinking, and put drivers on the road who can't get legitimate credentials and further that these problematic behaviors extend to many families, should give valid cause for concern. The prosecution and conviction of the document forger who supplied the WTC terrorists with fake identification is necessary, but not sufficent.

We need to model the bad actors into any identification security design and not simply ignore them, and try to block them out, since they have proven they can buy their way in. Pogo summed it up.

With identity theft on the rise, we can't assume we are secure because systems are (or are not) tied together. The trend
is towards convergence, and applying some common sense in doing so.

We have to admit to the high probability that bad actors will in fact manipulate these same systems to meet their own goals, and giving certain tools to the good guys can also place the same tools into the hands of the bad guys. But it's not entirely clear
that we can control the tools in the first place, and who has access to them.

Rather than continuing to focus on the issue of a national id per se, lets focus on how we can put the end user in control of their identity, how we can mitigate the effects of corruption where our data is susceptible to manipulation, and what legitimate roles a citizen can expect to play to balance their rights where the abuse of identifiers may be (or already has been), used to harm them or their families.

-pb

--

It has been well-known since the pioneering work of Claude Shannon
in the 1940s that a message transmitted with optimal effciency over

Lachmann, Newman, Moore
"Why any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from noise"
Sante Fe Institute