Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fujutsu Lifebook P review

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 06:25:14 -0500

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:43:51 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Crocker <dave () tribalwise com>

Dave,

I just got the new Fujitsu Lifebook P and like it enough to offer comments:

Most "small" laptops in the US focus on being thin and lightweight. The Fujitsu focuses on having a small footprint, which is exactly why I want it. Japan has many such machines, but the US laptop marketing engine believes that Americans will not tolerate the reductions in screen and keyboard. Indeed, laptop reviewers always chastise such devices for their limitations. The reviewers entirely miss the reason for such a device; so they evaluate it in terms of desktop-replacement "laptops".

The machine uses the new Transmeta 800Mhz chip. With an extended main battery and a second battery in the multi-purpose bay, they claim up to 14 hours of use. With only the main battery, I am getting less than half that, but still seem to be able to go 4-5 hours. (Using a 802.11 wireless card cuts that down, of course.) Performance is just fine for my word- network- and photo- work.

The machine is quite well engineered, both in design and -- from my experience with outside of the device -- execution. An example of the design thinking is the SXVGA port. It uses the new VGA mini-connector, which requires a dongle to map up to the usual VGA connector. Such connectors usually are a pain to use because the connector is very small properly aligning the plug tends to be a stochastic process. The P has the place for the plug recessed, so that the plug slides right in, easily and quickly.

The screen is 10.6" wide and 7" high -- US small laptops are roughly 10 x 10 -- so say goodbye to problems with coach seatbacks squishing your screen. The width gives the P a ratio of 15:9, almost full movie width. Display quality is excellent, though the natural settings require fighter-pilot visual acuity. My post-50 eyes need fonts to be 125% or better. Indeed, that multi-purpose bay comes with a DVD/CD-RW device and and it is quite good when playing a DVD movie. (In spite of seeing the movie Black Robe twice, recently, playing it on the Fujitsu showed some subtleties I had missed.) I have not tried to software surround sound utility, but the published reviews for it are quite good.

The keyboard is shrunk. Some reviewers complain about this, of course. And, yes, it does take some adjusting. However the keys have a solid, predictable feel and I am not finding that adjustment to be onerous. My typing error rate, is always terrible, but it has quickly gotten to my normal bad. And, of course, you can judge for yourself, since I'm writing this note with it.

I've now done a presentation through a projector, using the P, and it was a curious challenge. It did not just plug and play. Alas, I messed with the control utility when I first got the machine, and might have messed things up. The utility does not quite explain things intuitively, but it is powerful. It permits an external display (and, separately, an SVHS-connected television) to act as a clone or as a separate display space. And you can choose any of the displays as "primary".

Transmeta is having problems with chip production, so the volumes are quite low, and I had to wait a couple of months for my P. I hope they fix the problems. This machine is a winner.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave () tribalwise com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.273.6464

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/