Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: from a Net "old boy" -- ICANN't stand it any longer

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:31:11 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:29:06 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: ICANN't stand it any longer

organisms attempt to perpetuate themselves, and buearacracies
are especially adept when faced with incontrovertable evidence
that they are not only a failure but are unneeded.

distinguished TLDs are an antiquated notion. they were created as a
judicious engineering hedge at a time when the scaling properties were
unclear, and as a political hedge back when the various Orders Of The
Santified Breatheren viewed each other as untouchable (at least for
public consumption).  the explosion in .com has demonstrated that zone
scale doesn't matter and there is no problem with having zillions.
The political hedge turned brown and died.

more importantly, DNS was created in a time when there was no other
way to find things on the Internet than knowing a hostname.  this is
also a notion whose time is *clearly* past.  indeed, it would
accellerate evolution of better methods if Domain names become
increasingly hard to use, and at the same time it will devalue them in
any commercial sense, thereby obviating this stupid fight over
trademarks in binary data.

so we have a clear choice - we alter the model fundamentally now,
while we can still get away with it, or we stand by and allow DNS to
be encased in amber by those who live and die by the accumulation of
power.

"Vote with your bits!"

    -mo
     Resident Crank