Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Council of Europe drafts secret "Second Protocol" [grab your pgp while you can djf]

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:19:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:37:09
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
Subject: Re: IP: more on  Council of Europe drafts secret "Second
  Protocol" [grab your pgp while you can djf]

I love Gordon Petersen's comment about using commercially pressed CD's as
one-time pads that have been distributed efficiently.

Since the randomness in CD's is particularly present in the low order bits
of samples, etc. (metaphorically speaking), perhaps we should create a
covert NSA operation to take these bits from random to pseudo-random (i.e.
predictable) bits.

This would allow the US government to justify defending the RIAA as
essential to defending liberty.

You heard it here first - and please note that if you forward this idea on
IP, it is sufficient public disclosure to bar patentability.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/