Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Old folks - a word of caution for younger readers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:34:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Liam  Hemmings" <liam () lhemmings fsbusiness co uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:10:21 -0000
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Old folks - a word of caution for younger readers

My father is like many divorced and is now remarrying. Anyway I met his
girlfriend's folks a while ago. Her dad is old a bit deaf and dodders about
on dodgy knees.

I was playing with my PDA at one point, and the old fella comes to have a
look. Stupidly I begin to explain the thing in Seuss like terms.

It turns out that her dad, Nick, was one Alan Turing's assistants..... he
was involved in turning some of the problems associated with radar into
assets on Baby a very early computer in Manchester.. he can still program in
numerous source codes which as a mathematician he finds a bit limiting.. A
lot of the rest went over my head.

Gulp.

Liam

For archives see: