Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Metro Wireless Obstacles

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:36:45 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Metro Wireless Obstacles

Members of the ISP-Wireless list share stories about difficulties they have faced, both physical and financial, when rolling out Wi-Fi networks in urban areas. The consensus seems to be that residential service is tough if there's DSL or cable competition.

[February 11, 2002]
<http://isp-planet.com/fixed_wireless/business/2002/urban_bol.html>

On the ISP-Wireless list in January, RW asked,

"I'm interested in hearing from any WISPs that are serving residential customers in an urban environment. What are the challenges?"

JD suggested that what's most important is line of sight:

"Line of sight is the key. If you can get line of sight, then you won't have any problems. Place your POPs strategically so that you can get the best possible LOS coverage to the most rooftops, and always keep those trees in mindĀŠ"

Others said it's all about hard work and creative thinking:

[RE advised] "Forget NLOS: just give yourself several options. The trick to being able to support a residential WISP in the city is to be extremely flexible. Sometimes you will use one type of antenna, sometimes another. Horizontal today, vertical tomorrow. Sometimes this tower, sometimes that tower with an amp. Just don't try to have a fixed install plan: handle every case as an individual. "

[AM agreed] "As someone who has pretty much failed at the kind of service you describe (but succeeded at business service), I can give some advice on what not to do: Don't charge $999 for installs, as I do. Don't expect trees to be a surmountable problem. Don't expect NLOS to work as advertised: innovate new ways to get LOS instead. Don't try to compete on price with DSL or cable. In my opinion, you're going to have to work very hard to pull this off and make money. "

-End

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/