Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: U.S. Backing for Guidelines on Fighting Cybercrime

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:15:16 -0500

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:52:46 -0800
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: U.S. Backing for Guidelines on Fighting Cybercrime

At 10:27 AM -0500 02/12/02, "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott () alawash org> wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/12/technology/12CYBE.html

February 12, 2002

U.S. Backing for Guidelines on Fighting Cybercrime

By BARNABY J. FEDER

     The first guidelines for responding to attacks on computer systems to
be endorsed by both the F.B.I. and the Secret Service, the main Federal
agencies fighting such crimes, were published yesterday.

The guidelines were drafted by government and private security experts
brought together by CIOmagazine, a trade publication for information
technology executives.

The guidance comes at a time when the number of both government and
private organizations trying to track and fight electronic crimes has been
expanding, partly in response to Sept. 11. But experts say many businesses
continue to be reluctant to provide law enforcement officials with enough
information to pursue cybercriminals. Companies often fear that they will
lose business if security breaches become public or that they will become
the target of revenge attacks.

[...]

The 12-page CIO guidelines provide complete contact information for
businesses to report intrusions to public authorities and various
information-sharing partnerships like the 65 InfraGard chapters the F.B.I.
has helped set up around the nation. They also outline practices that the
F.B.I. and Secret Service advocate, like developing relationships with
electronic crimes experts at the agencies ahead of time so that managers
have a personal contact to take their call.

The guidelines advise against reporting minor intrusions, like the efforts
of outsiders to scan corporate systems for ways to penetrate them. Such
probes can occur hundreds or even thousand of times a month at a major
company. While such information could be useful in theory, the guidelines
say, it would swamp the current data systems of clearinghouses like the
National Infrastructure Protection Center or the Internet Storm Center,
which is operated by the SANS Institute, an international research
organization for security experts.

[...]

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/