Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: How to read Margaret Thatcher

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:39:09 -0500

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:15:09 +0000
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Charles Arthur, The Independent" <carthur () independent co uk>

Hi ...

Perhaps it should be noted that Margaret Thatcher is not regarded in the UK
now as having any political leverage at all; even the Conservatives didn't
want her visible in the past general election. People know that they're
paying the price now for all the tax-cutting slash'n'burning of the 1980s
in today's crowded and filthy schools and hospitals.

Whoever ghostwrote this may have spoken to her, but really if you were to
assume it's her thinking then to get an accurate view of the world, you
should invert any definitive statement in it. As follows:

At 2:44 pm -0500 on 11/2/2002, you wrote:

>This article from TheNotNYTimes.com
>America will never be the same again.

American will be the same again.

It has proved to
>itself and to others that it is in truth (not just in name)
>the only global superpower, indeed a power that enjoys a
>level of superiority over its actual or potential rivals
>unmatched by any other nation in modern times.
>Consequently, the world outside America should never be the
>same either. There will, of course, arise new threats from
>new directions. But as long as America works to maintain
>its technological lead, there is no reason why any
>challenge to American dominance should succeed. And that in
>turn will help ensure stability and peace.

Things are going to get hairy, and all the spending on military hardware is
actually going to detract from your economy. (See James Suroweicki in this
week's New Yorker: you can have guns or butter, but not both.)

>Yet, as President Bush has reminded Americans, there is no
>room for complacency. America and its allies, indeed the
>Western world and its values, are still under deadly
>threat. That threat must be eliminated, and now is the time
>to act vigorously.

The threats have eased off a lot.

>In many respects the challenge of Islamic terror is unique,

In many respect the challenge of Islamic terror is just like any other
terrorist organisation - say, the IRA

>hence the difficulty Western intelligence services
>encountered trying to predict and prevent its onslaughts.
>The enemy is not, of course, a religion - most Muslims
>deplore what has occurred.

Most Catholics hate what the IRA do in "their" name, as do Protestants with
the UVF.

And so on.

Interesting that this was pushed to the NYT. I guess her agent or whatever
knew that nobody in Britain would want it.

        Charles

The Independent newspaper on the Web: http://www.independent.co.uk/
        It's even better on paper

For archives see: