Interesting People mailing list archives

surveillance horror story in Finnish telecom

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:28:26 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Will Doherty <wild () eff org>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:26:53 -0800
To: eff-priv () eff org
Subject: <[E-PRV]>Fwd: surveillance horror story in Finnish telecom

From: "Jouni Snellman" <jouni () jsnellman net>
To: <privacy () eff org>
Subject: surveillance horror story in Finnish telecom
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:31:51 +0200

Hello from Helsinki,

did you know that five directors of Finland´s largest telecoms carrier
Sonera, including the former CEO Mr Kaj-Erik Relander, have been arrested
under suspicion of using telecoms network data to find out who was talking
to reporters about the problems of the company? It´s quite a local scandal
and an important precedent, and I´m surprised how little attention the
case has been getting in the international media.

The top management were apparently worried about the value of their stock
options and allegedly monitored the phone calls of their colleagues and
also reporters. Despite the leaks which burst the stock price bubble, Mr
Relander at least managed to cash in enough to become a partner at the top
investment firm Accel Partners in London.

I understand that this is the first time that these kind of allegations
have been made anywhere regarding a telecoms operator. The Finnish police
has cracked down hard, keeping the suspects in jail for weeks during the
investigation. No details are out yet but the case will most likely end up
in court sometime next year.

Jouni Snellman
jouni () jsnellman net

------ End of Forwarded Message