Interesting People mailing list archives

Who shall watch the watchmen?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:31:17 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:36:32 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Who shall watch the watchmen?

The New York Times today published an article about the discovery of
extensive corruption among FBI agents in Boston, including their
involvement in and cover-up of several gangland murders. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/06/national/06BULG.html

I mention this not because the event is surprising, but because it is
yet another reminder that we must be extraordinarily diligent about
restraining the power we give to our law enforcement agencies. They
are staffed with men, not angels, and as a result we can be sure that
sometimes they will abuse their powers. When we worry about giving too
much power to law enforcement, we must bear in mind that it is not
only the guilty who need fear them.

Perry

------ End of Forwarded Message