Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Obituary for Ole-Johan Dahl

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:55:35 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Thomas Bergin <tbergin () AMERICAN EDU> (by way of Bernard A. Galler)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:25:49 -0400
To: Interesting.People () umich edu
Cc: farber () linc cis upenn edu, sammet () acm org
Subject: IP  : Obituary for Ole-Johan Dahl

Sent by JAN Lee.

----- Forwarded by Thomas Bergin/tbergin/AmericanU on 08/06/2002 12:09 PM
-----

Professor Ole-Johan Dahl, University of Oslo, Norway, died on 29 June,
only 70 years of age. He was diagnosed with cancer four years ago, but
the disease seemed not to be life-threatening at first. Last fall,
however, the cancer took a turn for the worse.

Ole-Johan Dahl is a member of the small group of scientists who will be
regarded as founders of their own field of science. His field was
informatics (US: computer science) and he won the two most prestigious
international prizes specific to that field: The ACM A.M. Turing Award
and the IEEE John von Neumann Medal. He was made Commander of The Order
of Saint Olav by the King of Norway in 2000, and received a number of
other signs of recognition

When it became known that Ole-Johan Dahl was seriously ill, he received
letters and greetings from researchers all over the world, and also from
professionals who wanted to thank him for the programming tools they use
in everyday work.

The British scientist C.A.R. Hoare - another founder of informatics -
wrote this about Ole-Johan Dahl: ``He is someone that I most admire as a
scientist and as an educator and as a person.  His whole life is a model
of how life should be lived, right through to the end.''  The US
scientist Dave Parnas wrote about the Turing prize: "Finally, they have
given this prize to people who have really made a difference.  In more
ways than I can ever explain, your work has changed the way people think
about software and write about software.''

I got to know Ole-Johan early in the 1950s. We both worked at the
Norwegian Defense Research Establishment, he at the "Computing Office''
with me as his supervisor.  Both of us were under the direction of Jan
V. Garwick - the gifted and eccentric researcher who must be regarded as
"the father of informatics'' in Norway. Ole-Johan turned out to have an
exceptional talent for programming. In addition he developed other
characteristics suggesting a career as the absentminded professor. For
this reason some of his friends were astonished when he won the hand of
Tove, an exceptionally vital and wise wife. They had no reason to be,
since Ole-Johan on closer acquaintance turned out to possess a warm and
very vigorous personality. Their home, with two children and three
grandchildren, became a meeting place for cultural activities for
friends of Ole-Johan and Tove, to pursue their common interest in music.

He had a strong sense of humour, and at the same time he could be very
outspoken in discussions, -- and that is an understatement. We shared
the interest in music. He was an excellent performer; he once considered
a career as a concert pianist, and was active in the chamber music life
in Norway. As for myself, I was only a passionate listener. One morning
after Ole-Johan had slept overnight at our home, my wife told me that
she was unhappy because Ole-Johan and I had become enemies the evening
before. I was shocked, and had to explain to her that she had listened
in on a perfectly normal conversation about a composer whom I loved and
Ole-Johan at that time regarded as a charlatan.

Another true story from the 1960s at the Norwegian Computing Center,
when Ole-Johan and I developed the Simula languages and thus
object-oriented programming: A new employee came running down to the
switchboard office and shouted that two men were fighting in front of a
blackboard on the first floor. The switchboard operator stepped out into
the corridor, listened for a few seconds and said: ``Relax! It's only
  >Ole-Johan and Kristen discussing Simula.''

In 1973 came the famous book "Structured Programming'' by Ole-Johan
Dahl, Edsger Dijkstra and C.A.R. Hoare, which had an immense impact upon
the teaching of programming. From the 1970s on, the possibilities of
proving the correctness of programs interested him most. In this field,
too, he became an important researcher.

In 1968, Ole-Johan Dahl was appointed to the first professorship of
Informatics in Norway. He built a team of colleagues who together with
him created a high quality education in the subject.  He also built a
Department with an exceptionally pleasant human atmosphere, influenced
by his generous personality. Few teachers are loved by colleagues and
students to the degree that Ole-Johan Dahl was.

As for me I have very much to be grateful for. But, even if all of it is
important, it is the sharing of research, the new challenges every day,
the mutual inspiration, the steady building of new insights, and the joy
of understanding that count most when I think back on the fifty years of
our friendship.

Kristen Nygaard

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: