Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on The Next Generation Biotechnology May Make Superhero Fantasy a Reality

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:37:18 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:24:48 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu

This is scary stuff, and legitimately so.  But these are still the
utopian scenarios, where the scary question is whether we really want
to go there.  Very much worth thinking about.  But ...

Post-September 11, the scarier problem is a small group unleashing a
bio-engineered plague that wipes out the human race, either deliberately
or accidentally, believing incorrectly that they can protect themselves.

Because of self-replication, biological terror (and far-future nanotech)
are a fundamentally bigger threat than nuclear weapons.  A bad mistake
in one place can spread to cover the globe.

In 1968, Stewart Brand wrote "We are as gods and might as well get
good at it."  The problem is, we don't have the immortality of gods
(even if we conquer old age, we won't be invulnerable), and we don't
have Heaven to live in.  We could very easily create Hell.

It's no longer that we "might as well get good at it."
We *must* get good at it.

Ben