Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Internet Radio is flourishing, but Congress is poised to erraticit

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:25:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Laubach <laubach () matmos com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:43:32
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Internet Radio is flourishing, but Congress is poised to erratic
 it

For IP'ers:

For all those of your who listen to streaming audio over the Internet
from both broadcast radio stations as well as Internet only radio
stations - that which we enjoy is about to disappear due to the
iceberg financial requirements of the DMCA.

The U.S. Copyright Office is poised to adopt new regulations that would
significantly increase the royalties for Internet Radio delivered songs,
as well as install onerous recording keeping requirements.  Both of these
potential requirements are over the top and unreasonable.

I volunteer when I can at a local college FM radio station, KFJC, which
is located at Foothills Junior College in Los Altos.  Faces there are
glum when talking about the upcoming impact of the DMCA.  Their live
streaming feed is very popular.  Note that a college radio station is
the training ground for radio media artists and professionals.  These
folks will help bring about the digital future.  However, a college
radio station does not have the budget to support either the excessive
upcoming royalty increase for it's Internet  streaming b'cast, or the
budget/staff to support the severe record keeping requirements. The
Copyright office's action will kill it's streaming IP service.

The right thing is that Congress needs to go back and revisit and
lessen or do away with the requirements for Internet Radio.  If anyone
has any influence there or wishes to write their Congress person
about it - act quickly.

Mark
Recent article in the San Jose Mercury News:
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/3080949.htm

On 10 April, a collection of college broadcasters have filed with the
Copyright Office is available at http://www.ulm.edu/~willer/copyright.

Additional information about the DMCA and webcasters' efforts to
save Internet broadcasts is available at:

     http://www.rice.edu/cb/sos
     http://www.saveinternetradio.org
     http://www.kurthanson.com
     http://www.musicianslobby.com/webcasting.htm