Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: \Response to first WSJ Excerpt

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:30:55 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:24:49 -0500
From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Response to WSJ Excerpt

Prof. Farber - you may find this an appropriate follow up.

Reaction to Yesterday's Attacks

I mentioned to co-workers yesterday that people from the Middle East
living in the US, especially those in New York, were in the wrong place.
Not a judgement, but a statement of fact. I don't think all of them
understood.

I don't expect people to have no feelings or thoughts when encountering
Muslims or Arabs living in the US in the days, weeks, months ahead. I do
expect my fellow citizens to have the wisdom NOT to act on those feelings.
It is my hope that, in time, Americans will not have visceral reactions to
those who are different - in any way.

Doubtless there were humans of every race, creed, belief killed in
yesterday's attack. Let's not diminish their family's pain and grief by
our small mindedness.

From the democrats.com newsletter:

Anti-Muslim Spin Will Serve No Purpose But to Perpetuate Hatred and Violence

Today, a few news outlets seized on footage of one section of a
Palestinian town where clusters of Arabs appeared to be cheering and
celebrating the American catastrophe. FOX was the worst - it showed the
same footage over and over in a loop, which gave the impression of a far
more extensive event - unless you watched carefully enough to notice that
the same 20 or so Palestinians, most of them grade-schoolers, were being
shown over and over. Even if there was an outburst of outrageous, hateful
behavior on the part of some Palestinians, to blow this out of proportion
will only fuel hatred and violence, and inspire racist attacks against
innocent Muslims. It certainly will not help solve this crime or help
those suffering in the wake of the tragedy. We applaud the majority of
news networks who avoided this destructive, even dangerous form of yellow
journalism.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/