Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Prepare ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:41:08 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:38:59 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: David H Kaufman <kaufman () kaufmanfamily net>
Subject: Re: IP: Prepare ...

Dave,

I don't know Adam Shand and I know we're all in shock today. I'm as
concerned as anyone about the irrational actions our leaders may take, or
may irrationally not take, in the aftermath. Nonetheless:

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adam Shand <adam () spack org>

"Bush did this...

This is outrageous. No American leader could commit such an act against
our own people. Don't tell me about Montgomery, Chicago, bus riots, or any
other recent history - those are different and it should be obvious why.
Bush may be short-sighted, cynical, and a rather dim bulb, but none of
these could account for such monstrosity.

As I watched the flames on CNN yesterday morning, and saw the second plane
hit, I knew immediately that this was no accident, and that it was not the
action of any domestic group.

It is easy for us to ignore our responsibility as a nation for what
happened today.

This is unacceptable. The United States, and its citizens, bear NO
responsibility for what happened today, and I truly hope that the bluster
of the past 20 hours translates into some action that will make that clear
to the world.

We are a powerful nation, it is true. But we have attempted over the past
50-60 years to act on the world stage with some form of restraint and
respect for other nations and peoples. It is NOT our job to solve all
peoples problems, or to protect the citizens of all nations above our own.
There ARE some world problems that seem nearly intractable (e.g. in the
Middle East), which we cannot solve simply by our presence. We are
fallible, we may make mistakes, but we should commend ourselves, as a
nation, for remaining egaged and trying to help.

No action, lack of action, or policy of the United States can excuse,
diminish, or explain what happened yesterday.

We must commit ourselves as a nation to ensuring that this will never
happen again: by improving our internal security, by finding those
responsible and bringing them to account, and by leading the civilized
nations of the world to eradicate terrorism wherever it happens - in
Northern Ireland, Munich, Israel, New York, or Washington DC.

David Kaufman

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/