Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: enlightened approach to intellectual property and product development

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:19:07 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:18:43 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Charles Brownstein <cbrownst () cnri reston va us>

from:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=40

  LEGO Company / Official Announcements / 40
39  |  41

       Subject:
              LEGO Company position on third-party programs for LEGO
MINDSTORMS
         From:
              "Tomas Clark" <tomas.clark () america lego com>
              Tomas Clark
    Newsgroups:
              lugnet.lego.announce
         Date:
              Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:04:36 GMT
     Highlighted:
              !! (details)

View Raw
Message

   This is an announcement regarding robotics and LEGO MINDSTORMS. Since the
   recent article from Business 2.0, we have heard many questions about LEGO
   trademarks, programs like LegOS, reverse engineering, and so forth.
   Hopefully the following statement from the LEGO MINDSTORMS team will
answer
   these. Please follow-up in lugnet.robotics or to
fairplay () legomindstorms com.

   ------------
   Clarification from the LEGO(R) MINDSTORMStm team

   Those of you who have read or heard about the recent article on LEGO
   MINDSTORMS in Business 2.0 may be wondering what our position is regarding
   third-party programs such as LegOS. Truth be told, we were also somewhat
   surprised by the article, which doesn't really represent our views and
   misquotes several LEGO employees.

   So here's the deal: the LEGO Company does not have a problem with people
   writing their own software and code meant for use with LEGO MINDSTORMS
   products. In fact, exactly the opposite -- we absolutely love what people
   have done to extend the possibilities of LEGO MINDSTORMS. Taking something
   apart, putting it back together, making it into your own creation that
does
   what you want it to do -- this is what LEGO is all about! We feel very
   strongly that extensions and modifications by independent programmers have
   made LEGO MINDSTORMS a much better product.

   We'd like more people to be aware of the tremendous possibilities of
the RCX
   brick and all the great work people in the global LEGO MINDSTORMS
community
   have done -- tools like NQC, pbForth, LegOS, etc. In fact, we recently
   decided that we wanted to add a links page to the official LEGO MINDSTORMS
   Web site, highlighting the different third-party programs and tools
out there.

   This new proposed page, along with some reorganization in the LEGO

<snip> remainder of letter seeking creating clarification about what is
LEGO product and what is not
--

Charles N. Brownstein
Executive Director, XIWT

email:  brownstein () cnri reston va us
tel:    703 620 8990    desk: 703 262 5346
fax:    703 620 0913
web:    <http://www.xiwt.org>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/