Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Prepare ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:13:59 -0400

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adam Shand <adam () spack org>
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: for interneting-people ...

i appreciated the comments on the mailing list today.  here are my
thoughts which i have collected over the day.

Subject: Prepare ...

... for an assault on our freedom in the name of preserving our safety.

From: http://www.spack.org/index.cgi/PreserveOurFreedom

For a long time the USA has lived in a hubris filled bubble. We've been
protected by our size, our arrogance and our belief that we know better
than everyone else, that "our way" is the "right way."

Today we had our world rocked. I woke up to the radio and thought I was
listening to a modern version of "War of the Worlds." It took a few
minutes for the enormity of what I was hearing to sink in. As I realized,
I was up, running for the TV, logging on to the Internet, trying to find
out what had happened. As my parents remember where they where when
Kennedy was shot, I will remember waking up to the news of planes crashing
into the World Trade Center. Those first words and images are indelibly
burned into my memory.

I have to admit that my first reaction was retaliatory denial. I thought,
"Bush did this, he created a building full of martyrs so he can spend our
Social Security funds with the public's approval, to build more weapons,
to go to war ... to make money." I assume that was momentary paranoid
delusion, but the fact of the matter is that the USA is facing its largest
crisis in many years with what I believe to be one of our least capable
leaders. I have little faith in his vision, morals or ability to guide us
through this dangerous time.

I keep hearing comparisons to Pearl Harbor, and indeed that is the first
thing that occurred to me this morning. However we need to be careful
because there are crucial differences; when Pearl Harbor was bombed we
knew beyond a doubt who the enemy was, it was a military attack against a
military installation and there was ongoing harm being done in the world
that needed to be stopped. This time around we do not know who our
attacker is, civilians were the target and the harm has already been done.
How do we retaliate, whom do we attack and with what end goal? Vengeance
may make us feel strong, it may deter people from doing it again, but we
are strong now, and were strong yesterday, and it still happened. We need
to evaluate what actions are in society's best interests, put aside our
emotions as well as we can, and work for the common good.

It is easy for us to ignore our responsibility as a nation for what
happened today. The horror and shock of the event makes it easy to dismiss
the perpetrators as irrational extremists and think no deeper about their
motivations, but these were people like you and I, who believed strongly
enough in something to be willing to sacrifice their own lives for a
cause. What we have done to warrant such hate deserves further inspection.
Whatever the cause, the scary reality is that we must now deal with the
constant looming threat of another attack.

Which brings me to my final point, the aftermath. Assuming we avoid
starting World War III over this, during the next days, weeks and months
we will hear a cry that says we must sacrifice our freedom to live in
safety. I see this in the opening of Bush's speech to the nation where he
said, "...our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and
deadly terrorist acts." Our freedom can't be attacked because freedom is
an abstract ideal. This is preparation for them telling us that only by
passing new laws can our government guarantee our safety.

Our politicians will shortly be under a lot of pressure to do something to
make sure that this never happens again. They will flail wildly looking
for something to blame and something to fix. There will follow a rallying
cry that in order to protect us they must get new laws passed which
restrict our freedoms. They will want to keep secrets from us and not
allow us to keep secrets from them. There may be a call for martial law.
We will see a call for the return of export controls on encryption. We
will see increased pressure to marginalize open source software because
proprietary software is easier to control. We do not have to trade our
freedom for safety and if, out of fear for our loved ones and ourselves,
we allow ourselves to be manipulated, then and only then, will this attack
have truly succeeded.

The loss of life today is tragic and we all hope that no further attacks
will devastate innocent people's lives, but we are not victims. We are an
empowered people and an empowered nation, we can stand up for what we, and
our founding fathers, believe in and not let our fear make us shirk our
duty.

As Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberties for a
measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security."

Adam.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas, thoughts, spell checking and
disapproval. It all helps.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/