Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:WTC - restrictions on taking photos?! -- best reason I have heard

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:00:36 -0400

From a IPer asking for anonymity:

As a former Emergency Medical Technician allow me to shed some light.
While very unfortunately the rescue effort has turned necessarily into a
recovery effort, the point is that it IS still a recovery effort!! That
means that there are still (hopefully soon) to be exposed human remains,
partially decayed, probably partially nude given the height they fell
from, as well as the euphamistic term, "body parts". News organizations
have a standard by which films/pictures are chosen for display in news
stories.

For the whiners, let me be VERY graphic. A news camera man's job is to
be constantly filming! Whatever he is seeing. And let the editors do the
deciding on what actually is fit for respectful human consumption. When
Air Florida crashed into the Potomac after hitting the 14th street
bridge during rush hour, one of the first vehicles to actually arrive on
the bridge was a news van. The camera started filming. What you DIDN'T
see on the news (Thank you editors!) were the decapitated bodies that
were sitting in cars that had their roofs torn off when the plan hit
them. You didn't see completely separated torsoes of the unfortunate
victims where the rear stabilizer literally tore them apart.

The air speeds experienced from falling from heights as high as that
building are not dissimilar to a mid air plane crash. When bodies fall,
they are NOT only torn assunder by the impact/explosions, their clothes
are usually stripped out by the resistance of the air. When there is
fire and explosion, bodies are nude and charred with clothes burned off!
AND YOU WANT TO TAKE PICTURES OF THAT???

I am trying terribly hard to hold my temper on this one. Respect the
families. They hurt enough as it is.

Such a restriction is out of respect for the deceased and their
families, and to spare the public from graphic images they really have
NO right to see.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/