Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a couple of things

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:02:41 -0400

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:56:03 -0700
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () jcphome com>
Subject: a couple of things

First, I heard on a local station last night that a Yemeni diplomat and his party were detained at SFO for several hours yesterday (in handcuffs even) by local police when one of them showed a number of passports at checkin at the airport. The diplomat was Yemen's "honorary consul" in San Francisco. (I'm not sure if honory consular people in Yemen are actually real diplomats from the home country or not). He was interviewed on the air though. Interestingly, i cant find any reference to this on either of the local radio stations website that i heard similar stories on. (KSJO AM560 and KCBS AM740). But maybe it scrolled off. Apparently the local police held him and the group until the FBI could come down to the airport and verify his diplomatic identity and then let him go.

The other piece I found interesting is this story from the washington post analyzing a bit, the 5 page document found in Atta's luggage (which didn't make it onto the flight to the World Trade Center he was on from his connecting flight from Portland). It analyzes the similarities and differences between the spiritual wording in the document and traditional Islamic writings. That one is at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37629-2001Sep27.html

Thanks,
  -jcp-

Joseph C. Pistritto                             Cell: 650 464 4859
jcp () jcphome com                             Web: www.jcphome.com

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/