Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ain't only liberals who worry about our freedoms -- sounds like old Ben Franklin

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:41:49 -0400

The following is from Rush Limbaugh  www.rushlimbaugh.com

There's been talk about a national ID card lately. This was one of those things I wanted to keep an eye on, because it represented the kind of call to give up a little freedom for security I worried about in the wake of the September 11th attacks. Well, according to Thursday's Washington Times, the administration has given a flat "NO" to implementing this as a counter-terrorism measure.

"Deputy Press Secretary Scott McClellan said President Bush is not even considering the idea — though many in and out of government are, and the debate over the old issue has flared anew. There are no current legislative proposals to require such cards. And they are not requested in the package of national security measures the administration is asking Congress to pass.

"Yet Rep. George W. Gekas said yesterday lawmakers are being flooded with calls from constituents who suggest the government require each person to carry standard, federally issued proof of identification. Mr. Gekas, a Pennsylvania Republican, chairs the a House subcommittee on immigration. Prominent among those arguing for a national identity card is Larry Ellison, head of Oracle Corp., the Redwood Shores, California, software company."

Now, this is exactly what I was worried about. Here the American people want this thing. They think it's going to help, but it's an intrusion. We've got to be real careful, ladies and gentlemen, that we do not give up our freedoms in exchange for security. The way to gain security, the way to hold onto our security, is to expand our freedom, and to affirm that that's what this country is all about.

This country is what it is because we had some brilliant men who understood the spirit in which the human being is created, that natural yearning to be. The founders of this country established a form of government and a set of circumstances where that freedom, that natural yearning could flourish and produce the best among us, as we pursued our self-interests and our own happiness. To constrict freedom in the interest of security is to slowly erode the very foundation on which the country is built, and that would be a huge error.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/