Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FYI, use of wireless in NY

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:56:55 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Dave Hughes.  DLH]

From: "Dave Hughes" <dave () oldcolo com>
To: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () dandin com>
Subject: FW: FYI, use of wireless in NY
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:05:53 -0700

Dave Hughes

<mailto:dave () oldcolo com>dave () oldcolo com

Subject: Free Wireless Internet in Manhattan Starbucks in Wake of Tragedy
From: "Thomas J. Campanella" <<mailto:tomcamp () MIT EDU>tomcamp () MIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:24:48 -0400

<http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8304>http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8304

Free Wireless Internet in Manhattan Starbucks in Wake of Tragedy
Wed, 19 Sep 2001, 00:01
Peter Kirn, Assoc. Ed.

In an effort to assist those impacted by the tragedy in Manhattan,
Starbucks Coffee Company and MobileStar Network Corporation are
alerting New York area residents that complimentary wireless Internet
access is available for communication to family and friends.

Those interested may bring their personal wireless devices (e.g.,
laptop, Personal Digital Assistant, PDA)) with a Wi-Fi 802.11b
wireless network card (including Apple Airport) into any MobileStar-
enabled Starbucks retail location in Manhattan. Nearly all Manhattan
Starbucks have Internet access.

To connect with Airport, just take an Apple laptop into a Starbucks
and select the "MobileStar" network. With cell phones and landlines
overloaded last week and many without DSL or Cable Internet through
this week, I've found the MobileStar connection to be reliable and
fast. I invite readers to share other ways they've found to stay in
touch in this difficult time.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/