Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Interesting article on American ignorance of world affairs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:54:44 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:46:42 -0500
From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () home com>

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/27/stupidity/index.html

Eric Ransdell, a foreign correspondent for nine years in Africa and Asia and currently a documentary filmmaker living in Shanghai, China, blames the American education system for producing know-nothing citizens, people who in turn are unlikely to protest the decline in news coverage of foreign affairs. Recent surveys by such institutions as Harvard and the University of Maryland show that reporting on world events has dramatically shrunk in both the print and broadcast news media.

"For decades we've been reading about how American schoolchildren can't find Mexico or Canada on a map, and yet nothing seems to change," says Ransdell. "These people who don't know the difference between Switzerland and Swaziland then become the main consumers of news. And in poll after poll they tell us that they want less foreign news and more of what I call 'selfish journalism' -- which stocks to buy, sex and beauty tips, 10 steps to a healthier colon and so on. It becomes this horrible feedback loop where people are sent out of our schools in a state of complete ignorance of the rest of the world and then, maybe because they're embarrassed, clamor for even less information on something they know almost nothing about."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/