Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Finally, some good news: Two airlines to stop serving bad meals: [wonder what they will do with the 5 billion, award the management better bonuses djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:51:24 -0400

Mike Cassidy manages a weak smile at the loss of the <http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dispatch/mc092101.htm>midair microwaved meal in the airlines' cost-cutting moves.

Airlines are losing millions because of canceled flights and lighter passenger loads. Security is tighter by far. More than ever, air travel will be a way to get from point A to point B
safely.
In announcing the change, AMR, which owns American and TWA, said food service could increase delays in light of new security measures. And, the company said, given the hard times, its carriers can no longer afford the luxury of that midair microwaved treat. Which raises the question: What's one of those plastic meals on a plastic plate worth? Thirty-nine cents?

Even at that, whatever made American think the meals were worth it in the first place? It always struck me as funny that flight attendants would give you a choice of meals when everything tasted the same. (I usually picked the food I figured would leave the least stubborn stains.)
But by Nov. 1, AMR says, the choice will be more like peanuts or pretzels.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/